Saturday, February 27, 2016

Acrylic Painting from the Pigeons Series - Contemplation on a Feather

This was a completely new project I started about one of my favourite themes - my balcony pigeons.
I did not intend to paint merely pigeon portraits as one would assume but I wanted to concentrate on some unusual views, close-ups which normally escape the human eye if you don’t have the chance to watch pigeons for 24 hours a day and so close as I can do. I also wanted to paint in a manner that comes close to photographic realism but also wanted to keep the painted objects minimalistic i.e. the canvas will have large, seemingly empty areas, contemplative so to speak.

Therefore the first title was Contemplation on a Feather. I want to show the progress from WIP to the  finished painting...







Btw – these were the feet of Pete, the patriarch of our pigeon family. He was an impressive pigeon man with incredibly broad shoulders and beautiful feet with completely white nails. He went over the rainbow in February 2011 and you can read his story here and here. I miss him still after so many years - he will always have a place in my heart.
Here are a few photos of him so that you can see what I am talking about...




 Finally the first painting of the pigeon series was finished and here it is...

"Contemplation on a Feather"
18" x 26"
acrylic on cotton canvas



And here are some details of the finished painting....






~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...